Locking yourself out of your car is one of the most stressful experiences you will ever have. Most people who have been in this situation can attest to this especially if you had a meeting somewhere far to attend or you were late to pick up your children. Luckily there are some things that you can do to ensure that you do not find yourself on the wrong end of this scenario.
We have provided a list of things you can do to make sure you do not get locked out again.
- Always keep track of your keys. Check yourself before leaving the car to make sure you have your keys before going to work or to the house. Keep the keys on your person or put them in a specific location where you know you can find them easily. If you misplace your keys you will have a difficult and expensive time getting them replaced so make sure to take care of your keys.
- Always use the fob to lock the car doors. This is another way to avoid locking yourself out. It is easy if the car has an inbuilt locking mechanism. When you step out of the car always use the fob button on the keys to lock the doors. This will make sure that you do a quick check your keys in your hand, pocket or purse before leaving the house or work.
- Attach brightly colored accessories to your keychain. This helps you to both see and hear the keys in case they fall somewhere. Some items you can use for the key-chain include charms, colored lanyards, and other decorative items.
- Make spare keys. This is a great way to ensure that you do not get locked out again. If you have keys with a fob you will need to go to your local dealership for spare keys. If your keys do not have a fob you can go to the hardware store to have them made. After having them made you will need to ensure that they are easily accessible for emergencies. You may choose to leave it with a neighbor or your partner. You can also place it in a secure place in your home or office.
- If your key gets damaged or starts malfunctioning get it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. You do not want to wait until you are to stuck to have it repaired.
- Try and have some alternatives lined up. You can have basic lock picking skills or technology that will allow you to access your car in case you get locked out. There are also some apps that can help you keep track of your keys.
Finally, in case you get locked out always have the number of a professional locksmith or auto technician that can assist you.